Click Here For Free Blog Templates!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Pages

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Letter from Doug

 
Dear Mom and Dad (or, Elder and Sister Turner),

Well, how about a Christmas letter?  By the time you get this it will be old news, thanks to the technology of this day and age.  That said, it’s been great to talk with you guys every week and even skype occasionally.  I can’t imagine how much harder this would be if you were only allowed 1 or 2 calls home a year…  That would be rough on everybody! 

It’s been a pretty different year without you guys here though-  the boys didn’t get their week with Grandma and Grandpa, and we didn’t get our week without the boys while they were with Grandma and Grandpa.  No trip to Canada- a first in a VERY VERY long time.  No July the 1st, no Waterton, no stuffing our faces with all the yummy food while visiting with friends. 

However, I just want to say again how thankful we are that you are doing what you are doing.  Your mission has had a wonderful affect on our family.  I have been given opportunities to talk about the church to people I normally wouldn’t have had any reason to.  Our boys love the fact that their Grandma and Grandpa are missionaries, and I’m sure they have had opportunities as well to tell people about what you are doing.

The world keeps marching on.  When you get home things will be different, but this is a good thing.  Just think about all of the house repairs and moving boxes you didn’t have to deal with while you were away! 

Right.  Christmas.  I want you guys to know that you did a wonderful job of teaching me the true meaning of Christmas.  It still to this day bugs the heck out of me when people write it as “X-mas”.  Yes, I was probably not the best Joseph in our nativity scene, no, I was not happy to have to do random acts of kindness to earn a single blade of straw to put in the manger, and sure, maybe I wasn’t super excited about writing my gift to Jesus on a block of wood and wrapping it up as a present and putting it in the sleigh that sat on the table.  Interesting though how those things stick out the most to me now, especially as we go through many similar things with our boys.

Thank you for teaching me who Christ is and why its so important to celebrate his birth.  Thank you for your wonderful examples. 
Enjoy your Christmas in a new way and in a new world this year, but know that we look forward to spending many more with you to carry on the traditions that y’all started.

Love,

Doug.

1 comments:

  1. If your goal was to make your mother cry, you succeeded! Thank you for this letter! As a parent, you never really know if what you try to teach "sticks" or not. Thank you for letting us know that we may have done a few things right. I just remember the many, many things I did wrong. And you all turned out to be exceptional in spite of that!

    We, too, missed our week or two with the boys, too! We look forward to spending more time with you all and boring you with tales of living in the Caribbean.

    We Love you!

    ReplyDelete